Thursday, April 29, 2010

The Most Important June 12th In The History Of Anything Ever

Yesterday, I began day by day predictions of the matches in this summer's World Cup. So you can't say I didn't warn you.

DAY 2: JUNE 12, 2010

GROUP B:

ARGENTINA VERSUS NIGERIA

Some might say this will be the year of African nations. This would certainly be a poetic--and potentially geopolitically beneficial--result, paired with the first time ever the World Cup has been played on the continent. Nigeria, too, has traditionally been a strong competitor.

People have argued, too, that Argentina are not well-coached, that Diego Maradona, for whatever reason, has shackled the undeniable talents of Lionel Messi and others by playing them out of position. They barely squeaked into the World Cup, just avoiding having to play Costa Rica in a playoff. Again, to speak of karma as I spoke yesterday, Maradona still does not earn my sympathy, what with the "Hand of God" nonsense.

None of that matters. Argentina wins, 3-1. They have too much strength and will peak at the right time, and Nigeria is not consistent enough.


SOUTH KOREA VERSUS GREECE

South Korea advanced to the semi-finals in 2002, but they have never succeeded outside of Asia. Greece won the European Championships in 2004. None of that matters. South Korea has the experience to pull off a mild upset, and Greece will be weighed down with worry over the economic chains that come with an International Monetary Fund loan.

South Korea, led by Manchester United's Park Ji-Sung, takes it, either 1-0 or 2-1.

GROUP C:

ALGERIA VERSUS SLOVENIA

I'll be honest. I don't know a whole lot about either team, except the fact that Algeria doesn't like Egypt much, and Slovenia upset Russia. Any team that upsets Russia and Vladimir Putin is okay in my book, but I hope both teams prove beatable.

I'm pulling for a draw here, but I predict Slovenia pulls off a 3-2 victory, for no other reason than that is the first score that comes to mind.

UNITED STATES VERSUS ENGLAND

Oh, the humanity. This, let's face it, is the real reason for the entire World Cup. The chance for the ghost of Joe Gaetjens to ride again. The chance for a symbolic reenactment of the Boston Tea Party, only one that makes sense.

On the other hand, maybe it is just a soccer game.

Obviously, I would love to see the upset. I would feel much more comfortable thinking it was possible if Oguchi Onyewu hadn't spent this past season injured; who knows how stalwart he will be? The loss of Charlie Davies in that awful car crash is also cause for concern, though he says he will be ready.

My heart wants to say the United States, but I can't. England 3, USA 1.

No comments: