Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Just Another Day (# 44, To Be Exact)

Today the Giants hosted the Phillies in the final game of a three game series by the Bay, having won the first two games. Tim Lincecum was on the mound with a chance to go 5-0, so we had a great shot of sweeping away Philadelphia. In fact, he mowed down the Phillies for 8 1/3 innings, handing a 4-1 lead to closer Brian Wilson in the top of the ninth.

The Barenaked Ladies sing about doing things 'just like Brian Wilson did.' I wouldn't suggest they take today's example as their guide. Just like Brian Wilson did? Usually, yes, but not today. Oh, the sweep was so close, I could practically see the dirt being blown across the sidewalk while parking enforcement officers ticketed cars about to be towed.

To be up 4-1 in the ninth, and to have missed a couple chances to extend rallies and pick up insurance runs, oh, that hurts. Oh, despair. I don't even have to go to www.sfgate.com to know that there will be doomsayers posting dark thoughts on the failure. This is just what happens on Internet message boards.

The short-attention span of the baseball fan, huh? To take 2 of 3 from the defending National League champs, after 2 of 3 from St Louis, is pretty good. If they kept that ratio up for the remaining 141 games, that would be 94 wins on top of the 12 they've earned so far, which would make me ecstatic.

So instead of talking about this pain, let's kick off the World Cup predictions!

There are 43 days until the World Cup kicks off in South Africa, so it is time to start picking the results. Everyone picks results of tournaments, for sure, but what makes me stand out from the pack is that I make absolutely no effort to pretend that my picks aren't subjective, full of bias and emotional whim. It's more fun that way, even if it is the sort of chaotic behavior that makes people hate me as a judge at Apples 2 Apples.

Every day, game by game, I'll predict the winners, and by the end, you'll have a map of who (not) to bet on. Although I will make this bold prediction right now: North Korea will not win the World Cup.* (CLICK HERE FOR THE COMPLETE WORLD CUP DRAW AND SCHEDULE)

DAY 1: JUNE 11, 2010

GROUP A:

SOUTH AFRICA VERSUS MEXICO

The host nation has never failed to advance out of the first round of the World Cup. I'm thinking that South Africa could be on course to make history they don't want to make.

Mexico is talented, more than talented enough to beat South Africa, although the home fans will be energetic for the first match. I say Mexico scores two goals, one by Javier Hernandez,and one by Carlos Vela, but concedes one own goal (I have to say this; they're Mexico, and they always earn red card fouls against the US, so I have to wish them a little bit of misfortune).

URUGUAY VERSUS FRANCE


This is a tough one. I think France would tend to be favored, but I like Uruguay's chances. Plus, I would like to think that karma would pay France back for Thierry Henry's blatant handball that facilitated their qualification at the expense of Ireland. Karma, of course, is how we atheists like to express our desire for poetic justice without acknowledging the desire for a theistic figure to establish a framework for cosmic justice.

France scores late in the first half, but Nicolas Lodeiro and Uruguay find an equalizer out of nowhere in the second half. A 1-1 draw, which like a good compromise, leaves everybody unhappy except for Mexico.


To be continued. Tomorrow, I'll consider the U.S. versus England. Ooo, you can feel the electricity in the air already. Let's hope the electricity doesn't turn out to be metric. To hell with the metric system, I say.


*Yes, North Korea is playing in the World Cup. I'm not that conservative a gambler.

No comments: