Monday, February 6, 2012

Soccer Takes A Furry Turn, And Other Thoughts

1) I watched the Liverpool-Tottenham game today, which will be memorable not because of anything that happened in terms of actual game play, but because a cat scampered on to the field to halt the proceedings for several minutes. It was bemusing to see Brad Friedel looking so bemused to see a cat scurrying around the goal area--I hope he's not a non-cat person. But it was very cute, and a lot more entertaining than last week when apparently some buffoon ran on to the field and handcuffed himself to a goalpost. It was also way more attractive than any streaker.

Within minutes, there were already at least three Twitter accounts attributed to the cat. That says something about society, but I'm not sure what. I'm going to say it is a good thing.

2) Two more players who once were on my fantasy soccer team who shall never again represent FC Buster Posey: Luis Suarez and Andy Carroll. Luis Suarez just finished an eight game suspension for a racial insult directed against Patrice Evra of Manchester United, and Andy Carroll just spent the entire game whining and calling for penalties where none were merited, and then he wasted a couple of golden chances to score.

I trust they feel the lingering sting of being banished forever from the world of the my fantasy soccer graces.

I know you might think it is dubious to link a player impugned with racism with a player who fails to score, but they are in fact linked: one is offensive, and the other is ironically not offensive enough.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ha ha!

BTW I don't know why it is, but using my LJ identity no longer seems to work on any of the blogs I've used it on before... so, I am anonymous!