Sunday, December 4, 2011

The Goal Line

So, for many years, it has been rumored the 49ers would vacate Candlestick Park, and San Francisco in general, for the more suburban climes of Santa Clara. Sure, Santa Clara is fine for the Niners to use as a corporate headquarters and practice facility, but Santa Clara 49ers is almost as much of an abomination as the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.

In other words, I don't want the 49ers to move. The fact that I live in Santa Cruz and the Niners would actually be closer to me doesn't hold water, because I don't actually want to attend a game. I just want them to stay in San Francisco, since I grew up with Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, Roger Craig and their companions.

It looks more and more likely that the Niners will leave San Francisco. A ballot initiative, despite controversy, was passed in Santa Clara to allow the use of public funds for constructing a stadium, and the newspapers have reported that new private sources have been secured, completing the amount required. The thing that gives me hope it still won't happen is that a consultant for the project said, "It's like first and goal from the 9 yard line. We think we're going to score from here." I read that right before the Niners had first and goal from the five after a fumble, and had to settle for a field goal. Thus, my hope. The Niners have forgotten how to score touchdowns. Vernon Davis dropped a perfect pass in the end zone.

We are still up 9-0 so far against St. Louis, in a game where a tie or a win would clinch the division for us, but we haven't put the ball in the end zone. It doesn't bode well for us, how many times the offense has not finished in the end zone over the last few weeks.

But sports are full of fickle things, such as fortune. Look at Newcastle United: last week they benefited from a controversial penalty kick; yesterday, the referee failed to red card a Chelsea defender in the fourth minute, and Chelsea went on to win 3-0. Today is a possible clinching win for a first playoff birth for SF since 2002, but it has already seen Patrick Willis leave the game with a possible hamstring injury.

The Niners leaving San Francisco for Santa Clara would be another fickle thing. They would have to change their name, I think, because to say you represent San Francisco, but you actually play in Santa Clara, would be hypocritical, because you would be cashing in on the cachet of the name San Francisco 49ers.

Would this be truly fickle? Does it matter? I think it does, but I could be biased. Do you think that teams that relocate for the purposes of a fancier new stadium are cynically rejecting the emotional ties to a city for the sake of decisions that may be good for business?

I guess the point is the goal. Are the teams legitimately looking for a better facility to improve their chances for a championship? But if in doing so, they are turning their back on the community that has housed them for 50 years, are they selling their soul?

I say yes. What do you say?

2 comments:

Vaughn said...

Great post!

First, unfortunately, in any capitalist structure, nostalgic sentiment will only impact decisions such as these insofar as it determines the states of the bank accounts/financial assets owned by the powers-that-be. Second, my vote is more the product of the process of elimination than of my personal desires. The San Francisco 49ers would simply be an inaccurate. California 49ers renders the San Diego Chargers and Oakland Raiders secondary step-franchises. San Francisco 49ers of Santa Clara makes no sense. Those geographical locations are mutually exclusive. One cannot be OF both places. Inserting the ridiculous phrase "Formerly Known As" would even make more sense.

Finally, if I happen to project any bitterness or cynicism regarding the subject, I apologize. I am a Minnesota Vikings fan facing the movement of his franchise not to a community in the same state a couple hours away, but to a community in a different state that may as well be a different country 2000 miles away. On a related note, the Los Angeles Vikings would also likely have something to say about the California 49ers.

Devin said...

I agree, San Francisco 49ers of Santa Clara makes no sense, but is it really that much more absurd than the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim? I know there is a different degree of proximity, but still. I say that only as a devil's advocate, because I also cast my vote for Santa Clara 49ers.