Wednesday, November 9, 2011

A Stadium By Any Other Name

There is headline news on www.soccernet.com about Newcastle United's decision to drop the historic "St. James' Park" from the name of the stadium, naming it instead the Sports Direct Arena. I know, I know; Sports Direct is a mammoth name steeped in sporting lore and legend, but some people seem to be upset about this.

Okay, so a few years ago, this would make me gnash my teeth and complain about selling out. As it is, it sets my teeth on edge.

However, I do not consider this to be a sign of the apocalypse, for a trio of reasons:
1) Newcastle United is my favorite Premier League team, and therefore, as an extension/reflection of my personality, they can do no wrong;
2) If I were to complain about every element of sell-out in sports, I would never have time to enjoy the games;
3) Who cares what the corporation calls it?


Let's take these in turn:

1) I'm willing to view this as a method of increasing revenue for Newcastle, which could allow them to go from strength to strength and challenge for greater honors. We'll disregard the fact that Sports Direct is the company owned by Newcastle's current owner, Mike Ashley, which means that the current name is just a lure for future sponsors. Sports are expensive; better this than raising ticket prices, right?

2) You could theoretically assume that every sport was riddled with corruption: money, drugs, and the drugs of money and the money of drugs, etc. But that just wouldn't be much fun. "Bread and circuses" still means you get to have a snack and watch a circus act.

3) They can call it Sports Direct Arena all they want; do you think the fans in the pubs will call it anything but St. James' Park? When the 49ers changed the name of Candlestick Park to Monster Park, I don't think I can remember ever hearing anyone other than TV analysts call it Monster Park; all the people who mattered--the fans--called it Candlestick Park.

So all in all, sound and fury signifying nothing; as long as any sponsorship revenue helps Newcastle tear apart Chelsea and win everything in the history of what there is to be won, and then some more winning after that. That's not too much to ask.

No comments: