Wednesday, May 5, 2010

More Picks, Less Thought

It's been a good evening. The Giants claimed another road victory in Florida, as Barry Zito improved to 5-0 on the season. The Rockies and Padres are playing each other, taking victories off each other in the divisional race. And no, it's not too early to talk about a divisional race.

The downside to the evening is it is time to make another day's worth of World Cup predictions, but I am weighted down with pizza, beer, wine, and three hours of TV: Chuck, Castle and V. Which means that my picks tonight are going to be less thoughtful, perhaps, and I'll skip posting standings, because that really is a pain to try to type up a group table, let me tell you.

So here we go.

DAY 8, JUNE 18TH, 2010

GROUP C

SLOVENIA VERSUS UNITED STATES

Clearly, Slovenia must be better than one would think. I mean, Slovenia? Who would expect them to be any good? I mean, really. Slovenia is like a poor man's Slovakia. Some days, I think they must be the same country.

In any case, the United States is also a stronger soccer team than a lot of people think. We do enough for a 2-1 win.

ENGLAND VERSUS ALGERIA

I would be all for predicting an Algerian upset, because I love to see a former colony upset a former colonial power. However, Algeria was not England's colony.

Not, that is, until today, when Wayne Rooney colonizes Algeria's goal twice, and England wins 3-1.

GROUP D

GERMANY VERSUS SERBIA

I could see this being an upset possibility. I could see Serbia sneaking under the radar to clinch at least a draw, if not a win, against Germany.

In fact, I'm drunk enough to say it: Germany is a little sloppy, and Serbia comes away with a 2-2 draw.

No comments: