Friday, June 11, 2010

It Begins, Part 2

France versus Uruguay. Such an interesting game, mostly because of the scandal of the Thierry Henry handball that led to the winning goal for France in the playoff against Ireland. Many people predict France to fail to make it through this group. However, it is always possible that they will exceed expectations. I kind of don't want them to do so, though. I'm rooting for Uruguay today, even though I predicted France would get through the group stages.

MY ORIGINAL PREDICTION

A 1-1 draw.

FANTASY TEAM UPDATE

Nicolas Lodeiro of Uruguay is the only player for either team I have on my fantasy roster, but I do not have him starting today. Nor is he starting in real life.

GAME ON!

France in white will kick off. Uruguay in light blue.

And France just boots the ball down the left flank from the kickoff. I hate that. It leads to a foul and a free kick for Uruguay.

Not much rhythm or consistency yet. Both teams are starting fairly cautiously. A lot of high clearances, ball being sent long down the field. Also, I'm seeing a lot of players slipping and stumbling, which makes me wonder about the condition of the pitch.

And a moment of brilliance by Franck Ribery comes to naught as Sidney Govou fails to turn it into the net.

Uruguay seems to be forming a blockade in front of their goal, keeping five at the back. France is beginning to dominate possession, and they look the stronger side in these first ten minutes.

Patrice Evra picks up the first yellow card of the game for a needless takedown of a Uruguayan winger.

The assistant blows a call where the French keeper, after bungling an attempt to grab the ball, carried the ball over the end line for what should have been a corner kick. The French benefit again from a referee missing something blatant.

Diego Forlan makes a sudden burst and really tests Lloris with a strong shot that is parried away well. The hope for Uruguay seems to lie on the counter-attack.

Gourcuff fools everyone with a free kick from the left flank that curls directly towards goal instead of into the center, and it forces the keeper to scramble into a great save. Shortly after that, Ribery gets a yellow.

France has shown some flair and creativity, and I especially like watching Ribery and Gourcuff.

The problem with Uruguay's counter attack is that it leaves them open. Diaby and Anelka are getting a lot of room to run through the middle of the pitch.

40 minutes in and Uruguay are hanging tough, but one of their defenders, Pereira, was a bit shaken up.

They say that somethings you don't like at first will eventually grow on you. Not the case with the vuvuzelas.

HALFTIME! 0-0 at the break. I love it.

Uruguay kicks off, going from right to left.

I like what I've seen of Diego Forlan. He hasn't scored yet, but he has looked dangerous.

France has occasionally tried one pass too many when they could have taken a shot from the top of the 18. And players are continuing to slip, which means the field could do some crazy things to the ball--but the announcers are not mentioning the slipperiness.

Mauricio Victorino gets a yellow card for Uruguay.

Sagna gives away a free kick in a dangerous spot. Nicolas Lodeiro enters the game, which will earn me fantasy points if another of my midfielders does not play this round. And promptly gets a yellow card, which might lose me points. Damn him for his lack of discipline.

Jeremy Toulalan now gets a yellow card for France. More cards in this game than the last. France is starting to get frustrated.

Thierry Henry replaces Anelka. Will that make a difference?

Lodeiro gets his second yellow card and therefore a red for a nasty tackle. Wow. Ten minutes to go and Uruguay are down a man, trying to hold on for a draw, and my fantasy team is weakened. He owes me an apology.

If France can't get the winner here, they have a lot of thinking to do.

Thierry Henry appealed in vain for a handball in the box, which was very ironic, given that you would think Henry would know exactly what is a handball and what isn't.

A controversial free kick in injury time, very soft foul to give in this situation. France's last chance.

The wall holds.

Uruguay holds on for a 0-0 draw, playing with ten men!! Amazing! I predicted a goal each, but otherwise, I was right!

I picked Lodeiro for my fantasy team because I liked what I read about him in World Soccer. I thought he might be an impact player. I just didn't foresee that the impact would be his cleat on Sagna's ankle.

No comments: